Lumigan Eye - Bimatoprost
(℞) Prescription required.
What are Lumigan eye drops?
Lumigan eye drops are a prescription-strength medication used to reduce pressure inside the eye in people with open-angle glaucoma or ocular hypertension.
Naturally occurring compounds called prostaglandins are found in many parts of your body, including the eyes. Prostaglandins in the eye are responsible for draining the fluid out of the eyes in sync with the production of aqueous humor, a clear fluid in the eye. If at any time there is a blockage of the draining system, fluid build-up can create pressure. Untreated pressure inside the eye can have serious consequences, including vision loss.
The active ingredient in Lumigan eye drops, bimatoprost, reduces ocular pressure. When brand name or Lumigan generic eye drops are administered as directed, they work as your natural prostaglandins (compounds found throughout the body, including the eye) would. This helps to increase the drainage of fluid out of the eye to relieve the pressure that could potentially press on the optic nerve and cause glaucoma and permanent vision loss.
The generic alternative of Lumigan, Bimatoprost, is not manufactured by the company that makes the brand product.
Conditions treated by Lumigan eye drops
Lumigan eye drops or generic Bimatoprost can be prescribed to decrease pressure in the eye(s) and reduce the risk for glaucoma. Glaucoma is a group of diseases that damage the optic nerve and can lead to vision loss and blindness. Early detection and treatment can help protect eyes from permanent vision loss.
People over the age of 40 should have an eye exam annually or at least once every two years so any anomalies can be detected early and treated. Pressure in the eye, known as intraocular pressure or intraocular hypertension, typically shows no signs or symptoms, which makes routine eye exams all the more important.
What to know before taking Lumigan
- Tell your doctor about any conditions you have. Inform your doctor of any medications you take, including non-prescription medication, vitamins, and supplements.
- Tell your doctor if you are pregnant, plan to become pregnant, or are breastfeeding.
- Wash your hands before and after using Lumigan.
- Lumigan drops temporarily impair vision after use, whether administering brand name or generic; do not drive, operate machinery, or attempt any potentially risky task until normal vision returns.
- Lumigan may cause increased brown coloring of the iris, which may be permanent.
- Lumigan can temporarily increase eyelash growth and darken eyelid skin.
- Let your doctor know if you experience any side effects while using Lumigan eye drops.
- Store Lumigan eye drops at room temperature away from heat and moisture.
- To avoid contamination and eye infection, do not leave the lid off the bottle for an extended period.
Possible Lumigan side effects
As with all prescription drugs, there are potential side effects of Lumigan.
Some people may experience:
- Burning sensation
- Eye irritation, redness, discomfort, or stinging
- Dry eyes
- Feeling as if something is in your eyes
- Changes in eye, eyelash, or eyelid color
- Increased eyelash growth
- Increased flow of tears