Livalo Alipza Generic - Pitavastatin
(℞) Prescription required.
What is Livalo?
Livalo is a HMG CoA reductase inhibitor medication, also known as a statin. Livalo is used to reduce levels of low-density lipoprotein (LDL), known as "bad" cholesterol, while increasing levels of high-density lipoprotein (HDL), known as "good" cholesterol.
Livalo or the generic alternative Pitavastatin is prescribed to people with high cholesterol levels.
Livalo cholesterol medication blocks HMG-CoA reductase, an enzyme that controls the rate of cholesterol production. When this enzyme is blocked, the liver makes less cholesterol and collects and removes more LDL cholesterol from the blood. Consequently, cholesterol levels decrease, which then reduces the risk of heart attack or stroke.
The generic alternative of Livalo is not manufactured by the company that makes the brand product.
Conditions treated by Livalo
Livalo and Livalo generic are drugs used to treat high cholesterol in adults. Cholesterol is a waxy substance found in the fats in the blood. While we need cholesterol to build healthy cells, too much cholesterol can increase the risk of high blood pressure and heart disease. Individuals with high cholesterol can lower cholesterol with a healthy diet, regular exercise, and medication like Livalo if necessary.
Genetics play a role in whether or not you have high cholesterol. The liver is responsible for producing most of the cholesterol in the body.
The rest comes from what we eat, including meat, poultry, fish, eggs, and dairy products.
High cholesterol has no symptoms. Many people may not be aware of their high cholesterol until they are tested for it during a routine health exam.
What to know before taking Livalo
- Tell your doctor about any conditions you have, particularly kidney disease, thyroid disorders, low blood pressure, or a history of liver disease.
- Inform your doctor of any medications you take, including non-prescription medication, vitamins, and supplements.
- Do not take Livalo during pregnancy or while breastfeeding.
- Limit the use of alcohol while taking Livalo.
- You can take Livalo with or without food.
- Your doctor will recommend periodic blood tests to check that your liver is functioning properly and to analyze your cholesterol levels.<
- If you are scheduled for certain surgical procedures, you doctor may ask you to stop taking Livalo temporarily.
- Let your physician know if you experience any side effects while taking Livalo.
Possible Livalo side effects
As with all prescription drugs, there are potential side effects of Livalo and Pitavastatin.
According to the Mayo Clinic, some people may experience:
- Swollen joints
- Back pain
- Muscle aches or stiffness
- Abdominal pain
- Diarrhea or Constipation
Very rarely, this medication may cause liver problems. Call your doctor immediately If you notice any of the following serious side effects: stomach pain, persistent nausea and/or vomiting, yellowing eyes or skin, and dark urine.